Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Basic Granny Square

The other day I posted that I am making squares for the Crochet a Rainbow project. I spent this past weekend going through my stash of half-skeins and partially started projects and made a bunch of squares. I think I counted 15 squares in all. I have some more yarn in my stash but I won’t have time this week to make any more squares. I have to finish up my Valentine’s Day surprise and I am woefully far behind. I haven’t finished weaving in the stray ends. I don’t know why I wait until the end to do this but I always do. It doesn’t take very long to weave in the ends but it sure seems like it when you’re looking at a pile of 15-20 squares and they all have at least 2 strands that need to be woven in.

It got me to thinking about how easy the granny square is. I thought I’d go ahead and include a basic pattern here. Mainly because I can’t think of anything else to write about today.

So, without further ado – here are the basic instructions for making a granny square. I don’t have any photos of the process. I may take some photos and add them later.

This pattern or method can be done with any weight yarn and any size hook. The yarn and hook you choose should complement your project accordingly.

Terminology (US)
YO = Yarn Over:  Loop the yarn "over" the hook

CH = Chain Stitch: YO and pull the yarn through loop on the hook

SL ST = Slip Stitch: Insert the hook into the chain, YO, draw the yarn through the chain and through the loop that is on your hook in one movement.

SC = Single Chain: Insert the hook into the chain, YO, pull the loop back through the chain (2 loops on the hook), YO, pull the yarn back through both loops on the hook.

DC = Double Chain: YO, insert the hook into the chain, YO, pull the loop back through the chain (3 loops on the hook), YO, pull the yarn back through 2 of the loops on the hook, YO and pull through the remaining 2 loops on the hook.

INSTRUCTIONS (untested)
CH 4. Join with with a SL ST.
Some instructions state to CH 5 but I like doing it this way to make the center hole smaller. You could also use a magic circle to get started if that works for you

RND 1: CH 3 (counts as DC), 2 DC into center of ring, CH 2; **3DC, CH 2** (repeat ** 2 more times). Join with a SL ST to the top of the beginning CH 3.

RND 2: SL ST in the next 2 stitches to the corner. Change colors (optional).
CH 3 (counts as DC); 2 DC into corner, CH 2, 3 DC, CH 1
In next CH 2 space (corner)
**3DC, CH 2, 3DC, CH 1 ** (repeat ** 2 more times)
Join with SL ST to top of CH 3

RND 3:
SL ST in the next 2 stitches to the corner. Change colors (optional).
CH 3 (counts as DC); 2 DC into corner, CH 2, 3 DC, CH 1
In next CH 1 space (between 2 sets of DC below)
3 DC, CH 1
In next CH 2 space (corner)
**3DC, CH 2, 3DC, CH 1; in next CH 1 space 3DC, CH 1** (repeat ** 2 more times)
Join with SL ST to top of CH 3

RND 4 & 5:
Repeat RND 3 doing the following
In each CH 1 space – 3 DC, CH 1
In each CH 2 space (corner) – 3 DC, CH 2, 3 DC, CH 1
Join with SL ST to top of CH 3

5 Rounds for a Granny Square will generally make a 4-1/2 to 5-inch square. It all depends on your gauge and the size hook chosen. We were all asked to make squares that are 5 rounds for the Crochet a Rainbow project.

What Now:
3 Rounds for a Granny Square once joined can make a nice scarf or a baby blanket.
5 Round Granny Square can be joined with other squares to make nice afghan throw or “lapghan”.
6-8 Round Granny square can be joined to make a larger afghan for a small bed.
10-12 Round Granny Square can be joined to make a nice sized afghan for an adult bed (double or queen size)

Of course, this again all depends on the type of yarn you use, the size of your hook and your gauge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's on Your Mind

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...