Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Finished Project

I finally finished my lapghan. I wanted this to be a full blanket but decided to stop. I stopped for 2 reasons.

First, I ran out of yarn AGAIN. I had no idea how much yarn was needed to make a full sized afghan. I have been working on this lapghan for almost a year.  Crazy, right?  For this size, that's crazy.  Here's what happened.  I ran out of yarn, set it aside and decided I'd buy some more yarn and then finish the rounds and make it bigger and bigger.  Everytime I went to the store for additional skeins I ended up finding other colors and buying other colored skeins of yarn.  Something else always struck my fancy.

Second, I did this by using a traditional granny square pattern and just kept increasing ouwards in rounds. The result is that the lapghan is square, but most beds are rectangle. If I keep going and going until it is big enough to cover the length of my bed, then it’ll hang too far off the side. Here's what a traditional granny square looks like.


Crochet-A-Rainbow 1
You can see they usually consist of 4 or 5 rounds.  They can be solid or multi colored


.
Because I stuck with the traditional granny square pattern the lapghan is rather holey. I didn’t think it would be a very warm blanket. Well, I have to say, this blanky if quite heavy and warm. So, maybe if I’m inspired, I’ll buy some more yarn one day and add a few more rounds and make it just a tad bit bigger. Until then, here is my finished product.

It actually is almost as wide as a twin-sized bed



No photo is complete without at least 1 of my beasties nearby.

The colors are hard to distinguish.  Think I need to take pics in better lighting next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's on Your Mind

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...